Many mold toxic patients suffer from Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Syndrome although other triggers besides mold toxins may cause this syndrome. In this condition, a wide variety of normally benign environmental substances trigger excessive symptoms. This may include inhaled substances, ingested substances, or skin absorbed substances. Foods, essential oils, fragrances, and more may trigger a huge variety of symptoms.
This condition can be debilitating as it often prevents patients from leaving their home or entering buildings with high fragrance loads such as shopping areas. A full consideration is beyond the scope of this guide but is at least partially related to mast cell activation syndrome/disorder (MCAS/MCAD). In MCAD, the immune cell called the mast cell overresponds to various stimuli resulting in inflammatory or allergic symptoms. Multiple Chemical Sensitivity may work through this or other mechanisms.